Monday, December 30, 2013

14 weeks (:

So, usually 13 is an unlucky number. For me... it's unlucky week 14. 

Let's start with baby information and then we'll talk about why this week has been unlucky...

So the baby is now about 3 and a half inches long (the size of a lemon) and weighs about an ounce and a half. The baby can squint, grimace, and frown. The baby's kidneys are now working and producing urine that he/she releases into the amniotic fluid. The baby can also now suck his/her thumb. The baby's body is now growing faster than his/her head, and the neck is more distinguished. The baby is starting to grow a fine layer of hair, and his/her liver is starting to produce bile this week. His/her spleen is also starting to produce red blood cells. 
Baby, fetus at 14 weeks - BabyCenter

So now, why is this week not so lucky for me?
Well where should I start? So yesterday (first day of week 14) I went to the gas station across the street from my apartment. On my way back I was carrying a bag with a bottle of snapple, a quart of chocolate milk, and two gatorades in it. I was going up a cement set of steps, and me and my clumsy self fell up the stairs. I landed on my hip, the bottle of snapple shattered, and my phone screen cracked all over.

Also starting yesterday, every time I tried to take a full breath in I started coughing. I had been having some issues with catching my breath, but I thought it was probably just because as a pregnant woman's uterus grows it presses on their diaphragm. Over the course of the day, it just got worse. I was having aches all over my body, my head hurt, I was cold and shaking, I had no appetite.. so about 6:00 this morning I decided to go to the emergency room. I was told that being pregnant I was more susceptible to pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in my lungs) and that they were going to run a blood test to see if it was a possibility. The blood test came back showing it was, and after that I had no choice but to have a CT scan with contrast done. The CT scan and contrast put myself, and the baby at risk of radiation. This can cause birth defects, but if I did have blood clots and they went untreated I could die. They did the CT scan, and luckily there were no clots. I do, however, have walking pneumonia.

On the bright-side:
The ER did an ultrasound of the baby today, and everything looked fabulous. The baby's heart rate was 161, and he/she was moving his/her little arms and legs all over the place.


That's a picture of the baby from today. I'm 14 weeks and 1 day.

I have a follow up appointment on Thursday, but for the next 3 days I'm pretty much on bed-rest. So, keep me entertained. (:

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment